Top 4 Benefits of Dental Exams & Cleanings
Do you ever wonder why dentists keep insisting on the importance of regular dental visits? The truth is this your dentist is looking out for your oral health. The value you get from regularly visiting your dentist is insurmountable.
One of the core services offered by the general dentist you visit for regular appointments is dental exams and cleanings in Aubrey. Today we discuss the reasons why these services are worth your time and resources.
What Are Dental Exams?
They are a series of tests that a dentist near you performs to check the state of your oral health. Usually, the exams are a starting point for your interaction with your dentist. The types of exams conducted differ since the dentist will take different steps as the need arises. Some of the tests done during an oral exam are:
- Physical exam – it is the most basic test, and often the first one. A dentist will physically check the state of your oral cavity. This involves keen observation of your mouth. Further, your dentist may ask several questions about your dental health and history. He/she may also use touch to feel any anomalies in your mouth. Often, the results of this test will determine the next steps of the oral exam.
- Radiography – radiographs are a different level of the oral examination, where digital imaging is employed. Some of the tests involved here are x-rays, ultrasounds, CT scans, to mention a few. The tests are important for the examination process as they provide access to the insides of your mouth. Your dentist is then able to analyze your oral state by considering your bone structure as well as the health of your gum tissues beyond the face value.
What Are Dental Cleanings?
They are oral hygiene sessions where your attending dental experts cleans your mouth professionally. Oral cleanings involve in-depth cleaning of the oral cavity to remove all plaque and tartar and sustain a healthy mouth. The steps involved in an oral deep clean include the following:
- Scaling – it is a necessary step for patients who have significant plaque and tartar on their teeth. It is the process of removing plaque, by scraping it off of teeth surfaces.
- Teeth brushing – an electric toothbrush, coupled with special dental toothpaste are used to brush your teeth professionally. This will remove most of the food debris and plaque on the surfaces of your teeth.
- Professional dental flossing – it involves thoroughly cleaning the spaces between your teeth. This ensures that no plaque or food debris is left stuck between your teeth.
- Rinsing – any particles in your mouth that may remain after all the above-mentioned steps can be washed out with a proper mouth rinse.
- Fluoride treatment – the final step of an oral deep clean helps to make your teeth strong and resistant to dental cavities. Fluoride treatment nourishes your teeth with fluoride, which is an element necessary for healthy teeth.
Benefits of Oral Exams and Cleanings
For you to enjoy the dental exams and cleanings in Aubrey TX that are offered regularly, you must understand why they are beneficial. In general dentistry, they make the foundation of good oral health. As you consider the place of regular dental exams and cleaning near you, here are some benefits to help influence your decision:
- Fighting gum disease – gum disease is a major oral problem that results from poor oral hygiene. With regular deep cleans, your mouth is freed from any plaque and tartar, closing any room for an infection to manifest in your gums.
- Detecting oral problems – unless you start experiencing severe symptoms, it is often hard to tell when you have an oral problem. The issue with this is that patients end up nursing severe oral issues that should not have gotten that far, should they have considered oral exams. The more often your dentist has access to your oral cavity, the higher the chances of catching an oral problem in the early stages.
- Fighting dental decay and cavities – a great way to fight these oral issues is by catching them in their initial stages. Besides, the regular deep cleans will help remove the plaque and tartar in your teeth that are associated with these oral issues.
- Improved oral hygiene – your oral hygiene routines at home will notice an improvement if you are a regular visitor at your dentist’s office. The deep cleans provide you with a clean slate to work with every couple of months.